TMJ disorders are becoming more and more common because of the stress many people face daily. Chronic illness, major life changes, work-related issues or loss are all potential stressors that can trigger TMJ pain. Also, TMJ disorders are often caused by excess stress on the joints as a result of teeth grinding habits. TMJ disorders…
FAQs About Cosmetic Dentistry Treatment
Patients dealing with dental imperfections can greatly benefit from cosmetic dentistry. There are many affordable treatments available today that are simple and can help patients achieve a new smile.
Common questions regarding cosmetic dentistry
The following are some of the most frequently asked questions about cosmetic dentistry as well as related procedures.
What is cosmetic dentistry?
Cosmetic dentistry is the focus on dental procedures that are used to improve appearance of a patient’s teeth, bite and gums. The treatments work to correct issues with the alignment, shape, size and color of the teeth.
What are the most common procedures?
While there are many treatments available, these are the most common procedures used in cosmetic dentistry:
- Veneers: Veneers are thin, tooth-shaped shells, usually made of porcelain or resin, that are custom-created in a lab to match and fit a patient’s teeth. These are often used to fix discolored teeth, tooth discoloration, misalignments or cracks and chips in the teeth. Veneers are durable and often last around 15 years.
- Bonding: This procedure is similar to veneers but instead involves a tooth-colored material, typically composite resin, that is created in a dentist office. It is then shaped to match the teeth and attached via an adhesive. Bonding is also used to correct imperfections in the teeth, such as cracks, misalignments and gaps. Results usually last for 10 years.
- Dental implants: Dental implants are used to replace a missing tooth or teeth. This surgical procedure uses titanium implants as replacement roots in the jawbone. An artificial crown, bridge or denture base with replacement teeth is then attached on top. The procedure has many advantages over other replacement options and can help patients improve speech as well as avoid weakening of the jawbone.
- Teeth whitening: This treatment is used for patients who have stains and discoloration on the teeth. Stains often occur from tobacco use or diet; drinks such as coffee and tea have a tendency to cause tooth discoloration. A powerful bleaching agent is used to remove the stains and give a white smile.
- Braces: Braces are appliances that are used to help straighten and realign teeth. There are a variety of types of braces available today, from the traditional metal and wire to clear.
What are the benefits of cosmetic dentistry?
Cosmetic dentistry has the ability to restore self-esteem and confidence in patients who are unhappy with their smiles. In addition, this type of dentistry can help prevent dental issues in the future. For example, misalignments can cause cavities and decay because it can be difficult to clean teeth properly; fixing this may help avoid these issues. Teeth can become healthier and stronger after restorations.
Cosmetic dentistry is an important part of dentistry as it helps patients enhance their smiles. The procedures have the ability to fix numerous dental issues, such as misalignments, tooth discoloration, cracks and gaps. Patients can feel self-assured and enjoy a beautiful, healthy smile again.
Check out what others are saying about our services on Yelp: Read our Yelp reviews.
Dentures and other dental prosthesis options are appliances that will replace a missing tooth or cover up any tooth irregularities. These prostheses also include implants, crowns, bridges and veneers. Some of them are removable while others stay permanently in your mouth. Learn more about what these prostheses are and when they might work for your…
Dental veneers can help give you your desired smile. These thin custom shells can cover the front sides of your teeth to change their color and shape. Your dentist can recommend them to improve your teeth if they have become crooked, stained, worn, chipped or poorly shaped. But there are other cosmetic dentistry procedures that…
If you are one of the estimated 40% of adults who snore in the United States, then you need snoring treatment. The condition is more prevalent in men than women and is never a good health indication. Snoring is usually harmless (except the irritation that the sleeping partner may feel). But in some cases, it…